Why Your SEO Is Not An Office Supply, Pt 2
What you MUST know about Real SEO Value
Despite the fact that this is the 2nd Part of a series, it can be read on its own. Here we’ll deal more with the great SEO misconceptions:
– ‘There’s no big difference in the profit value of Search Engine Rankings, as long as the keyphrases are related to my business’
– ‘You’ll get the same Rankings – or value – from most SEOs’
Nothing could be more wrong, and that’s where businesses make a fatal mistake.
For example, many small companies trumpet the fact that their SEO ‘got’ them the #1 Google ranking for their own business name. The real story is that if you can’t rank for your own business name without professional help, you have huge problems. Any SEO Company touting that as one of its accomplishments should be a huge red flag.
That brings us to the real issue- What rankings do you truly need for success in Google and the other search engines? I’ve seen and heard cases, time after time, about sites that ranked well and yet were getting no sales or response from visitors. There are many on-site factors that could be the problem, but the 1st step to search engine success is getting real, targeted prospects to the site. And that starts with getting the Right Rankings.
WHAT ARE ‘RIGHT RANKINGS’?
One thing you realize if you work in the SEO business is that keyphrases that seem to be winners at first glance can actually be a complete waste of effort if you chase them. The ultimate judgment of a keyphrase comes from the quality of traffic it produces. There’s one, simple test: Does the keyphrase bring in visitors who become customers?
Countless times I’ve witnessed keyphrases that were sure bets in the planning stage turn out to be duds in the execution stage. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why that is, but it is an indisputable fact of marketing, advertising and sales. Not every keyword is equal, no matter how relevant it appears.
THE 2 WAYS DISHONEST SEOs PRODUCE RANKINGS THAT DON’T PRODUCE PROFITS
Many less honest SEOs will get you ranked for these keyphrases because:
1. It’s easy to do so. Your smart competitors aren’t going after these keyphrases, because they know they don’t produce. So the path to the top of the Google rankings here is an easy one. The SEO gets you ranked, it looks good to anyone who doesn’t go over the data (who does?) and the SEO gets paid. Everybody’s happy. Until a few months down the road when your profits are stagnant or have died completely.
2. It looks like they’ve done their job. It’s hard to argue that a seemingly relevant keyphrase to our industry isn’t where your search engine positioning needs to be. Unless you really do your homework. This is how so many SEOs fulfill their ‘Ranking Guarantees’ so quickly and easily. Now you know their secret.
So how do you combat this? It’s difficult, but a couple of ways to protect your business:
– Ask your potential SEO about sales results, not rankings that they’ve gotten in the past.
– Do a Google AdWords campaign at the same time or before your organic SEO and TRACK THE RESULTS. This must be done by a Pay Per Click pro who knows what they’re doing. However, finding what keyphrases are the profit producers is pure gold.
We’ll explore other factors of why SEO isn’t a commodity in the upcoming Part 3 and tell you more ways you can defend your business. You can read this SEO Article’s Part 1 also.
Contact us today for consultation on your SEO and Search Marketing needs.
Article written by Jonathan Cook