Another big Google update just rolled out in the last couple of days. The screams of anguish you’re hearing are those who saw their sites take a dive. As usual, some of them seem to be truly innocent victims of Google’s evolving SEO algorithm.
My sites seem fine, so far. These things tend to roll out over time, though, so I’m not declaring victory just yet. You might be asking – what is this update targeting exactly? Here’s the answer.
What’s This Google Update About?
This update specifically is to hit websites using keyword stuffing in their content and tags, as well as what they’re calling ‘unusual link activity’. That activity includes paid links and backlinks that use anchor text unrelated to the actual content of the page being linked.
As this is all done by software there is that random element of ‘Why is this considered spamming, but this isn’t?’. Not much you can do about that, unfortunately. However, this does mean your SEO will need finer brushstrokes by many of you out there.
Here’s a couple of excellent articles on what’s going on and who the winners and losers are, so far, in this latest Google Update:
- Internet Marketing – Where Robots Ain’t Cool - July 20, 2015
- Why Google Biz Reviews are Even More Important to You Now - July 3, 2015
- How You’re Losing Website Sales at the Crucial Moment - June 23, 2015
- Why Google+ MUST Be Part of Your Internet Marketing Strategy - June 18, 2015
- 3 Questions You Must Answer When Considering PPC - June 15, 2015
- Why 50+ Year Old Direct Marketing Techniques are the New SEO ‘Secrets’ - June 11, 2015
- The Truth About Bounce Rate - June 4, 2015
- READABLE: The Overlooked SEO & Internet Marketing Factor - May 29, 2015
- You Can’t Just Sell in Today’s SEO World & Still Rank - May 27, 2015
- How to Get Back Up in Google After the ‘Phantom’ Update - May 22, 2015