I downloaded a PDF listing sites that offer link listing (directories, etc). There were over 400 sites listed and I’m always on the lookout for directories so I dived in. Before I got into the list, though, you were given an offer – they would submit your site to all 400+ sites for a bargain price, saving you time and effort.
I like to do my own SEO link work for various reasons, so it didn’t persuade me. What really hit me as I checked out the sites on their list was how worthelss their submission offer was. Why? The vast majority of the directories on the list were extremely specialized. Which meant that if your business or site didn’t fit the focus of that directory you didn’t have a chance at being listed. Here’s just a sample of some of the directories they were offering to submit you to for ‘valuable SEO’:
– Directory specifically for Mexican businesses
– A directory that was entirely in Hebrew
– Directory specifically for other directories
– A directory for women-owned businesses only
And on and on and on. Paying someone to submit you to sites that will NEVER list you is like paying for a blank white square to run in the newspaper as your ‘ad’.
I should be grateful that I got a (very) few new directories to add to my link list, over 90% of their list was useless for most businesses. Careful what you pay for.
- Internet Marketing – Where Robots Ain’t Cool - July 20, 2015
- Why Google Biz Reviews are Even More Important to You Now - July 3, 2015
- How You’re Losing Website Sales at the Crucial Moment - June 23, 2015
- Why Google+ MUST Be Part of Your Internet Marketing Strategy - June 18, 2015
- 3 Questions You Must Answer When Considering PPC - June 15, 2015
- Why 50+ Year Old Direct Marketing Techniques are the New SEO ‘Secrets’ - June 11, 2015
- The Truth About Bounce Rate - June 4, 2015
- READABLE: The Overlooked SEO & Internet Marketing Factor - May 29, 2015
- You Can’t Just Sell in Today’s SEO World & Still Rank - May 27, 2015
- How to Get Back Up in Google After the ‘Phantom’ Update - May 22, 2015